WHAT IS PILOBOLUS @ PLAY?
Pilobolus @ Play is an innovative creative movement program designed to diversify and increase audiences for Pilobolus and for dance in general across the United States.
- In “P@P”, Pilobolus partners with select presenters to go out into their respective communities: in schools, senior and community centers, libraries, and dance schools
- We offer a week of free workshops to various groups, priorities on:
- older adults
- pre-professional performing arts students in low-income communities
- as well as open community groups or other special groups upon request
- Over five days, Pilobolus Teaching Artists teach approximately 12 workshops and reach 200-300 community members
- P@P workshop weeks take place immediately prior to Pilobolus performances. All workshop participants are invited to attend the show and meet with the cast afterward
- In between years when a theater presents the full company, Pilobolus can visit the community to offer a week of workshops and present an hour-long duet show. Workshop Teaching Artists perform and workshop participants perform onstage, as well
- Participants learn the improvisation and movement creation skills that have made hundreds of thousands of people love Pilobolus over 45 years
- Through partnering, collaborative choreography, and peer-to-peer feedback, the class stretches personal limits and cultivates creativity
- Multi-year engagements go furthest to develop relationships between audience members, theaters, dance, and Pilobolus
Pilobolus believes we have an important role to play in building our own
future audiences - as well as those of modern dance at large.
WHAT OUR PRESENTERS SAY ABOUT P@P
I forgot what it felt like to move and how much I love it.
—Participant, Senior Center, West Philadelphia, 2015
- For a sample P@P schedule, click HERE
- To see a video of Pilobolus teaching artists working with community members through Pilobolus @ Play, click HERE
- To see a video of Pilobolus dancers working with school kids after they’ve seen our show Rules @ Play, click HERE.
- To book Pilobolus @ Play, contact Matthew Bledsoe at IMG Artists: 212-994-3565, or via email: email@example.com
- For more information about program content, contact Pilobolus Education & Community Engagement Manager
- Emily Kent at (860) 868-0538 x24, or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Support provided by the FORD FOUNDATION.